The Utah Grassroots Organizer spends approximately 2/3rds of their time working to advance the goal of building and maintaining cohesive statewide support for SUWA’s congressional and administrative efforts to protect Utah’s wilderness lands. The remaining 1/3rd time is spent maintaining and expanding SUWA’s social media outreach through the use of Facebook, Twitter, blogs, and other platforms and services as appropriate, and coordinating and expanding SUWA’s network of online activists.
Reporting to the Media Director and working with the grassroots team, this person will plan and implement direct organizing activities in Utah, with a focus on the Wasatch Front; develop and maintain a grassroots network in Utah among key identified constituencies; and work cooperatively with staff and volunteers to achieve these goals. S/he will also develop educational outreach materials, coordinate with grassroots and legislative staff with other wilderness advocacy organizations, and build SUWA’s online presence
A competitive benefits package includes health care coverage, a retirement plan, and paid vacation and sick days. Opportunities for additional training are available. This position will work out of SUWA’s Salt Lake City office.
To effectively perform this role, this person must possess excellent verbal and written communication skills; the ability to build and maintain relationships; a strong grasp of social media including best practices; and should be self-motivated and committed to the preservation of wilderness. Experience in and enthusiasm for grassroots and netroots organizing strongly preferred. Experience in environmental/wilderness issues or with Congress is preferred, but not required. Familiarity with WordPress, HTML, and CSS is a plus.
- Work with campaign directors and the grassroots team to develop and implement strategies advancing SUWA’s multiple wilderness campaigns, including America’s Red Rock Wilderness Act, the Greater Canyonlands National Monument Campaign, and SUWA’s campaign to block Utah’s anti-federal “land grab.”
- Plan and implement Utah wilderness slideshows and tabling events in Utah in order to cultivate new Utah activists, engaging established “super-volunteers” in the process.
- Cultivate super volunteers in strategic congressional districts through regular phone and web communication on legislative matters affecting public lands in Utah.
- Prepare and disseminate grassroots educational materials on congressional/administrative actions effecting the wild lands of Utah.
- Build SUWA’s capacity to generate Letters to the Editor, Op-Eds, and other grassroots-written public communications.
- Format and edit email action alerts when needed; creating online surveys and petitions; post blogs and press releases to website; ensure news and other online content is distributed through social media; maintains Facebook, Flickr, YouTube, and Twitter accounts; manage Change.org and other third party petitions and data entry from petition signers; moderate comments on Facebook, Flickr, YouTube, and the SUWA blog.
How to Apply
Please send a resume, cover letter, and three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org by Wednesday, June 26, 2013. Please include the words “Utah Organizer” in your subject line.