On December 4th, the state of Utah issued a multi-million dollar contract bid, furthering their plans to file a lawsuit challenging the restoration of Bears Ears and Grand Staircase-Escalante national monuments, possibly all the way to the Supreme Court.
The state was clearly not listening to the people.
Two days prior, on December 2nd, Tribal and Indigenous community leaders, in addition to people from across Utah, protested at the state Capitol to discourage the irresponsible misuse of state tax dollars.
Tune into the latest episode of the Wild Utah podcast to hear each of the speakers from that night, recorded live at the Capitol:
- Malcom Lehi, Councilman of the Ute Mountain Ute Tribe and Co-Chair of the Bears Ears Inter-Tribal Coalition
- Timothy Nuvangyaoma, Chairman of the Hopi Tribe
- Davis Filfred, Co-Chair of Utah Diné Bikéyah
- Olivia Juarez, Latinx Community Organizer for SUWA
- Brooke Larsen, Utah community activist, organizer, & writer
Take action after this episode!
Highlights in the News:
Thank you to our show supporters!
Wild Utah is made possible by the contributing members of SUWA. Thank you for your support!
Subscribe to Wild Utah on your favorite podcast app!
Theme music is by Haley Noel Austin, with interlude music by Larry Pattis.
Dave Pacheco is the host of Wild Utah.
Post studio production and editing is by Laura Borichevsky.
A transcript of this episode is available here.