Title: Stewardship Coordinator
Location: Moab, UT
Reports to: Stewardship Director
Status, Salary & Benefits: Full-time, Non-Exempt. Salary & Benefits information below.
Submission Deadline: Friday, Dec. 15, 2023
The Southern Utah Wilderness Alliance (SUWA) has an opening for a full-time Stewardship Coordinator. Interested applicants should email a cover letter and resume to Jeremy Lynch, Stewardship Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline to submit your application is Friday, December 15th, 2023.
The Stewardship Coordinator works within SUWA’s Stewardship Program to ensure effective, safe, and educational volunteer projects on wilderness-quality public lands across Utah. Duties are diverse and propelled by organizational priorities as well as the directive to build stronger, more purposeful relationships with federal agency staff at the field office level.
The Stewardship Coordinator is SUWA’s “on-the-ground ambassador” – a liaison between SUWA, agency personnel (BLM, USFS), and a diverse volunteer base including members, supporters, students and other youth groups, and the general public. The position involves consecutive long days in remote regions, rigorous physical activity, and periodic backcountry driving, often on rugged and technical four-wheel-drive roads. SUWA’s Stewardship Director will provide the resources, training, and additional support to ensure that the Stewardship Coordinator is prepared and equipped to excel in the roles outlined below.
- Facilitate volunteer projects on public lands throughout Utah.
- Document all work completed via written reports and georeferenced mapping.
- Coordinate with federal agency partners to ensure effective volunteer projects.
- Coordinate small to large volunteer groups over multiple days, including weekends.
- Draft and manage pre- and post-project communication with volunteers.
- Manage program assets including tool inventory, field kitchen, and vehicle.
- Conduct assigned fieldwork to monitor past project work.
- Meet regularly with the Stewardship Director to discuss program and work.
- Other responsibilities as assigned by the Stewardship Director.
Preferred Interests and Skills
- Demonstrated commitment to wilderness preservation, a strong grasp of Utah public lands history and an interest in wilderness management.
- Experience guiding and working with diverse groups on public lands in backcountry or challenging outdoor settings, as well as experience driving on rugged, four-wheel-drive roads in remote locations.
- Ability to spend 3-5 consecutive days at a time in remote locations without cell phone service and the willingness to work in all types of weather conditions, including harsh and often high-temperature desert environments.
- Basic familiarity with GIS (Geographic Information Systems).
- Competence with Google Drive, Microsoft Office, and standard data input systems.
- Commitment to working a flexible, needs-driven schedule, including frequent weekend stewardship trips.
- Possess a valid, state-issued driver’s license and clean driving record.
Location, Start Date, and Compensation
The position is based out of Moab, UT with an anticipated start date of February 1st, 2024. SUWA offers competitive pay, based on relevant experience. Starting salary for this position is $48,500 plus an end-of-year retention bonus. SUWA offers a generous benefits and vacation/sick leave package; details can be found online at suwa.org/careers. A background check will be required prior to a job offer.