Title: Membership Coordinator
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Reports to: Administrative & Human Resources Director
Status: Full-time, Non-Exempt
Salary: $48,500 or DOE – see below for benefits
Submission Deadline: July 21, 2023
The Southern Utah Wilderness Alliance (SUWA), Utah’s largest conservation organization, has an immediate opening for a Membership Coordinator based in its Salt Lake City office. Interested applicants should send a cover letter, resume, and three references to Michelle Martineau, HR Director, at email@example.com. The deadline to submit your application is July 21, 2023. Please include your name and the words “Membership Coordinator” in the subject line.
Job Description Summary
The Membership Coordinator is an entry-level position responsible for recruiting new members and maintaining the organization’s existing membership base. The Membership Coordinator reports to and is supervised by the Administrative and HR Director. The ideal candidate has experience in either customer service or administrative work. Volunteer or professional experience at a nonprofit organization is preferred.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Respond to membership emails and phone calls in a timely manner
- Manage constituent relationship management (CRM) software
- Send out purchases, acknowledgement letters, and premiums
- Work with the Administration and Development teams to be cross trained
- Work with the Development team to develop and implement new strategies and activities for acquiring members
- Oversee SUWA merchandise design, production, sales, marketing, and shipping
- Plan and coordinate membership events for the organization, with the assistance from the Development team where needed.
- Assist with member and fundraising event planning and implementation
- Assist with the production and mailing of “Above and Beyond” fundraising letters
- Design and prepare mail packages, coordinating with staff to generate renewal letters, maintain a cost-effective premium program, renew sample files, and update and generate thank-you letters
- Ensure all mailings are sent out on time
- Conduct monthly inventory of premiums, sales items, and acknowledgment letter supplies
- Conduct data analysis and prepare lists for all mailings
- Maintain office equipment for acknowledgement letters in the Salt Lake City office
- Fulfill list trade requests for other organizations
- Assist with editing and providing feedback on development-related publications, grants, reports, and other organizational materials as needed.
- Assist the Development Associate with other responsibilities as assigned
- Assist with the training of new Administrative and Development team hires
- Prepare development board report documents three times a year
- Collaborate with several teams within the organization, including the Organizing and Communications teams
- Send weekly member profiles to the Executive Director
- Acknowledge all monthly donor donations online
- Acknowledge social media fundraisers
Training & Qualifications
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Requires 1-2 years of relevant experience, or any combination of education, experience, and training which provides the desired knowledge, skills, and abilities
- Computer literacy with multiple customer relationship management software including Blackbaud and Luminate Online
- Demonstrate high level of diplomacy, sound judgment, and discretion when dealing with members, potential members, and other department staff
- Ability to perform multiple tasks effectively with a focus on timeliness and responsiveness
- Detail-oriented approach.
- Strong work ethic with a professional, positive attitude
- Excellent communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, especially Excel and Word.
- Familiarity with Blackbaud products and layout/design software such as Canva and Adobe InDesign a plus.
- Passion when it comes to protecting wilderness
Location: SUWA’s Salt Lake City office. We work a hybrid schedule with at least 3 days per week in the office.
Salary DOE: Starting salary for this position is $48,500, depending on years of experience. We also provide an annual $2,500 retention bonus for completion of a full calendar year and a 403b contribution of 3.5% of salary.
- 15 days of paid vacation time (increasing yearly with tenure up to 20 days)
- 12 paid sick days annually
- 14 paid holidays, including a year-end office closure
- Employer-paid medical, vision, and dental benefits
- 2-month paid sabbatical every 5 years
- Flexible work days, depending on position
- Parental, bereavement, jury duty, and other leave
- Cell phone subsidy and travel reimbursements
- Access to outdoor gear pro deals
- $500 “take care of yourself” reimbursement
Equal Opportunity Employer
SUWA is a non-profit organization dedicated to the preservation of the outstanding wilderness at the heart of the Colorado Plateau, and the management of these lands in their natural state for the benefit of all Americans. SUWA promotes local and national recognition of the region’s unique character through research and public education; supports both administrative and legislative initiatives to permanently protect Colorado Plateau wild places within the National Park and National Wilderness Preservation Systems, or by other protective designations where appropriate; builds support for such initiatives on both the local and national level; and provides leadership within the conservation movement through uncompromising advocacy for wilderness preservation. The lands we work to protect are the ancestral homelands of many Tribes. We are committed to expanding present-day collaboration with our Tribal neighbors.
SUWA is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. SUWA is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.
More information can be found on our careers page.