- This event has passed.
Wilderness Steward Training for Utahns
August 17, 2019 - August 18, 2019
Transform your recreation into stewardship!
Across Utah’s public lands there is a pressing need to ensure that negligent and willfully destructive/illegal activities do not exacerbate other threats to proposed and designated wilderness. Under the present administration, we have witnessed a rise in blatant or thinly concealed efforts to undermine the integrity of wild places. This, combined with the expansive growth of Utah’s recreation economies, is profoundly impacting our public lands.
SUWA’s Service Program works every year to remediate, rehabilitate, and reclaim impacts to the wilderness character of our public lands. Join with us as we expand our Wilderness Stewardship program. Become involved with our public lands monitoring initiative, increase our on-the-ground presence across Utah, and help us directly counter increasing threats to our wild places.
Join us in Salt Lake City and a nearby wilderness site on Saturday and Sunday August 17/18 to train as a volunteer Wilderness Steward with SUWA!
- Learn the history and present reality of Utah’s WSAs (wilderness study areas) and lands with other protective designations.
- Train in the tools, technology, and techniques of wilderness monitoring, with emphasis on natural and cultural resources.
- Review the finer details of the 2019 update to America’s Red Rock Wilderness Act, our statewide wilderness proposal.
- Train hands-on to monitor your public lands. Learn how to navigate, identify, and collect data to improve practical management, and how to “read the landscape” for impacts – from motorized to mechanized and more.
- Conduct annual monitoring hikes based on need, the latest field data, and your proximity to a high priority designated wilderness or wilderness-quality parcel.
- Become a Wilderness Steward in your community!
The training is open to all Utah residents willing and able to commit to a minimum annual monitoring hike quota. Wilderness Stewards receive annual monitoring assignments premised upon need, the latest field data and individual proximity to a high priority wilderness or wildlands parcel.
Interested applicants may inquire by email. Join the ranks of SUWA’s Wilderness Stewards and help us grow our public lands’ presence from the ground up! Visit our website to Apply Now.